Wednesday, August 31, 2005


So, I feel for the people suffering right now in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I really do. Especially the poverty stricken Americans who had no choice but to stay and wait for the inevitable destruction. The horror of having your life mercilessly destroyed by something as uncontrollable as a weather pattern is something beyond my comprehension - probably because I wouldn't know who the hell to cut for taking my house! But seriously, I can't imagine how they're feeling. However I take issue with several things and well, this is my blog and I'll vent about random shit if I want to.

So, first, I am deeply disturbed by the inference that Hurricane Katrina is "America's tsunami". Who in their right mind started this blasphemous mockery of a comparison? The South Asian tsunami hardly compares to the isolated devastation in the richest country in the world. Hell, it hardly deserves even the argument to oppose it, as I am only acknowledging that someone has foolishly compared the two. But alas, here I am, officially announcing my distaste for the phenomenon known as "the Nazi phenomenon". When someone is being persecuted, they often compare it to oppression in Nazi Germany. It just. Shouldn't. Happen. PLEASE for the love of god, think before you speak.

And on this note, it is even more ridiculous - if its possible - for Americans to use this comparison since they are only doing it for dramatic effect to entice the world to feel sorry for them in their time of need. Perhaps they need to embellish a little, considering no one wants to help them out as a nation. Sure, I want to help poor New Orleans Bob who lost his wife/home/dog/children/money, but I don't want to admit that I'd ever extend compassion or gratitude to a country who rarely - and yet always pompously - does the same for anyone else. I don't think I need to explain it further. We all know why America is perceived this way, especially as Canadians.

Anyway I am a bit angry and frustrated today, though I don't particularly care to explain it because it's boring and so not hot to complain about it when I'll be over it by morning. But this may explain the tone of my post. So, to try and end on a somewhat good note, I'll finish with my favourite quote of the day, courtesy of Martin: "Your hair is...significantly reduced in size today." bahaha. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I am a little confused. Are you implying that American NEVER helps out other countries? I agree with the pompous part because America is clearly the most conceited country in the world (can a country even technically be conceited??) however America leads the EVERY other nation in aiding other countries specifically in times of need. Find out some information about the population of New Orleans in the first place. It is a very unique creole poverty stricken city before the hurricane which is partially why the entire city was so devistated by the storm. Just thought your post was a little unclear and I am wondering where your coming from.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

America "helps" other countries financially in times of need, sure. And so they should. They also - for one small example - have borrowed billions of dollars from others - Turkey for example - to fund weapons and tools of war and will likely never be able to repay the money because they're too busy fighting a ridiculous, profit-driven war for oil with what is already a deficit. America has caused much more pain than it has pleasure. And yes, the population of New Orleans is predominantly black and has a history of poverty, and that's exactly my point. How did a country with so much "freedom" and wealth allow ANY of its citizens - poor or not - to succumb to what are basically third world conditions? And Bush won't allow outside help? Why? Because he doesn't want to admit that his resources are a little tied up right now over in Iraq.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

oh and to answer your question, conceit can certainly describe a country. And, usually, when someone is conceited, they end up taking a glorious and humiliating nosedive. Amen to that!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon 3:54: it's spelled "you're". GOD!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ummm....wow! this is officially the most posts i've ever had, even though 3 of them are my own. loves it!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at anon 11:00 since there's no use for you'RE in that post.

(just had to add another one on here for ya!)

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home