Sunday, September 04, 2005


My Ode to St. Elmo's Fire...

I am absolutely obsessed with this movie right now. I was always curious about it since I love 80's movies and had heard so much about this one in particular. There's even an E! True Hollywood Story on the making of the film. Anyway, I know that being as it stars Emilio Estevez - what 80's movie doesn't? - and all the other Brat Pack 80's stars, it has a bad rap. But it's SUCH a great movie! They do not make movies like this anymore at all. They just don't. Although, maybe that's because there will never be another decade like the 80's. The fact that the 80's were so decadent and excessive even without cell phones and the internet made for a very pungeant mix. All big hair and bad clothes and cocaine. The characters have so many flaws, and yet the tone of the movie is so even throughout, and there are always reasons to relate and even like the characters. I hate movies today. Oh, and Rob Lowe, whom I don't even find attractive as he is today, is sooOOooOOoooo hot in this one. And the music in it is an original score, and it's actually pretty good!
Also, my brother's fiancée's family came over tonight for a barbecue. I'll post the photos soon, it was really fun. We all got along smashingly and had a lovely bonfire after dinner.
Some great St. Elmo's Fire Trivia/Facts/Quotes:
Cast:
Minor Roles
Dale - Andie McDowell (a beautiful doctor)
Primary Roles
Kirby/Kirbo - Emilio Estevez (he's obsessed with Dale the entire movie and you never get a sense that he's completely sane or completely insane. just really, really obsessed.)
Leslie - Ally Sheedy (preppy, career-driven, dating Alec)
Alec - Judd Nelson (politician in training, the most together of them all and they all worship him)
Kevin - Andrew McCarthy (angry writer, and totally in love with Leslie)
Billy Hicks - Rob Lowe (the quintessential hot bad boy. Like, can't keep a job has a wife and a kid but has sex with anything that moves drinks and drives borrows money and never pays it back plays in a band and thinks he's still 18 bad.)
Wendy - Mare Cunningham (thinks she's fat and would sell her soul to Lucifer himself if Billy would pay attention to her)
Jules - Demi Moore (slutty cokehead with massive debt, but always looks totally fabulous)
___________________________________________
Random Facts about St. Elmo's Fire:
Throughout the movie the cast often does this thing when they're in a good mood where they go "Boogada Boogada Boogada HA HA HA!!"....It's never once explained why or what it's in reference to. Apparently, it wasn't in the original script but the cast started doing it on set, so the director later put it in the script to underscore their closeness and history.
Andrew McCarthy's character, Kevin, has some of the wittiest and funniest lines in the film. Turns out, they were lifted directly from Merle Kessler's infamous character Ian Shoales - from Duck's Breath Mystery Theatre - who is a fictional pop-culture critic. "Special Thanks" are given in the credits to Duck's Breath Mystery Theatre but the specific lines are never credited to Merle Kessler.
The characters all attended Georgetown University together. After reading the script, Georgetown University administrators refused to allow producers to film on campus, so the on-campus scenes were filmed at the University of Maryland. No Georgetown University buildings appear in the film, and even though Georgetown refused to be a part of the film, the director felt strongly about keeping Georgetown University in the script.
St. Elmo's Bar is based on The Tombs, a popular watering hole with Georgetown University students. For exterior shots, a full street set built at Universal Studios in L.A was used.
The character of Wendy, played by Mare Winningham, was originally supposed to be a cute, blue-blooded girl who is totally in love with Billy. However, Mare got pregnant before filming and to keep her in the film Joel Schumacher decided to tweak the character of Wendy as (ironically) virginal and totally insecure about her weight. It ended up being a great decision.
Rob Lowe won the Razzie Award (the answer to the Oscars, for the worst actors/movies) for Worst Supporting Actor in a film in 1986. I don't know why. He was hot as Billy the Kid!
And incase you were wondering (you probably weren't but that's why I love blogs)...St. Elmo's fire is a plasma (i.e. a hot, ionized gas) that forms arounds the tips of raised, pointed conductors during thunderstorms. It is known as a corona discharge or point discharge to physicists. The few people that have had the privilege of viewing an actual St. Elmo's fire have given various descriptions. It has been seen with different physical characteristics depending on the conditions of the viewing. It could be blue to bluish-white, silent to emitting a hissing sound, and ghostly to solid. Some people belive that the Hindenburg was ignited by St. Elmo's fire in 1937, however this theory has yet to be proven.
Quotes from St. Elmo's Fire:
___________________________________________
Kevin: Marriage is a concept invented by people who were lucky to make it to 20 without being eaten by dinosaurs. Marriage is obsolete.
Alec: Dinosaurs are obsolete. Marriage is still around.
Kevin: How come you never ask me if I want a date?
Prostitute: Cause I thought you were gay.
Jules: Alec, I'm at the Van Buren hotel and I'm with these Arabs and they've been forcing me to do coke all night. Now, I don't understand much Arabic but I think I heard the words for gang bang.
Wendy: Our real purpose is to get you off welfare and train you in a skilled profession, now do you have any interest in the janitorial field?
Welfare recipient: Just give me my cheque.

Wendy:
There are certain words that my mom finds too horrible to utter so she whispers them. You'll get used to it.
Wendy's mom: Have you heard about Betty Rothburg? *whispers* Cancer! Say, Billy, where did you meet Wendy again?
Billy: *whispers* Prison.

Kirby: I always thought we'd be friends forever.
Kevin: Yeah, well forever got a lot shorter all of a sudden.
Wendy: We're really worried about this affair with your boss.
Jules: Ladies, this is the 80's. So, I bop him for a couple of years, get his job when he gets his hands caught in the vault, do a black mink ad, retire in utter disgrace, then write a best seller and be a fabulous host on my own talk show...
Alec: You're being arrested for drunk driving.
Billy: Drunk definitely, I don't know if you could call it driving.
Billy: The wet look is in, asshole.
Alec: That's Mr. Asshole to you.
Jules: Don't you enjoy anything anymore... like girls?
Kevin: I enjoy being afraid of Russia. It's a harmless fear, but it makes America feel better, Russia gets an inflated sense of national worth from our paranoia. How's that?
Billy: Jules, y'know, honey... this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep them going when times got tough, just like you're making up all of this. We're all going through this. It's our time at the edge.
Leslie: Men... Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.
Alec: You walked out on this relationship.
Leslie: I didn't walk out. You walked out.
Alec: You fucked Kevin!
Leslie: You fucked many!
Alec: Nameless, faceless many.
Leslie: Thank you. I feel much better now.
Dale: Kirby! How are you?
Kirby: I'm obsessed thank you very much.
Kirby: It's true love, my friend.
Kevin: Love, love, you know what love is? Love is an illusion created by lawyer types like yourself to perpetuate another illusion called marriage to create the reality of divorce and then the illusionary need for divorce lawyers.

Kirby: There are several quintessential moments in a man's life: losing his virginity, getting married, becoming a father, and having the right girl smile at you.
Wendy: No diet works. The only way to lose weight in the thighs is amputation.
Jules: I thought you were taking steps to phase out everything that wasn't working in your life. Wendy: That doesn't leave much.
Kevin: You know Jules, there is the brink of insanity and then there is the abyss, which obviously you have fallen into.
Kirby: Why do they put ice in the urinals?
Kevin: It tastes better
Kirby: Bah Dum bum ching.
Leslie: Alec is becoming a Republican... and he wants to get *married!* Oh, my God!
Jules: I always *knew* he was a Republican!
Billy: So you lost your job? I've lost twenty of them since graduation. Plus a wife and kid. And, in a new development this morning, a handful of hair in the shower drain.
Leslie: How's Howie?
Wendy: Oh well, I wouldn't say my father's trying to bribe me, but he did offer me a Chrysler Lebaron convertible if I get engaged to Howie.
Jules: Have you fucked him yet?
Wendy: Jules!... God.
Jules: Listen... get the car, fuck him, and if you don't like it you can break the engagement... And then you can still fuck him.
Billy: It ain't a party till something gets broken.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Vince said...

I love this! My friend Veronica and I watched this movie every weekend during our freshmen year in college.

Boogada! Boogada! Boogada! Ha! Ha! Ha!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

OH my god I am so glad someone posted a nice comment and not one busting the movie! :) If I were in the movie I'd totally be Wendy mixed with Jules minus the coke addiction. I'd be ass backwards in love with Billy! Young Rob Lowe is so hot. *sigh*.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Spots said...

I am completely and profoundly obsessed with this movie, finding myself and exciting combo of Wendy and Jules. Thank you for recognizing the genius. Although, Andrew McCarthy...I thought he was the hot one. No?

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home